Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Ministry is going well for now. The team has met a lot of students and are now going to be focused on building relationships. God has been gracious and intentional in showing each of us the depth of sins in our lives. In that we realize that we have nothing to offer and we need Him to accomplish every little task. It is interesting to move to another country where you don't speak the language or understand their culture... you really have NOTHING to offer. It is a completely helpless feeling. Numerous times I have had old ladies or other italian moms yell at me... actually yell at me about something I was doing wrong. I have gotten to the point now that I understand what they are saying and I can respond back but not all the moms here can. It's hard to not be able to explain yourself. All of this causes us to run to Jesus. Seeing sin that is deeply engrained is difficult but what else will draw us closer to Christ and in turn make us more effective in sharing the Gospel? Sometimes the things that are the hardest are the best things for us.
Personally I am learning to find contentment in my role as a mom of 3. I didn't realize how many outlets I had in America for personal interests... BIble Studies, Church, Small groups, Crusade meetings, Date nights, etc. All of those things are non-existent for the moment in our lives a couple. We each have a BIble study but we have nothing together. Finding time together has been a challenge. Kids here eat later, go to bed later, no matter how hard we try. I am learning to teach Turner. We have school time everyday and much to my surprise he loves it and looks forward to it. We have craft time which is interesting with 2 out of 3 children not being able to participate.
Family life in the city might actually be better than I thought. The kids love it! They love going to the restaurant underneath our apartment where the waiters and cooks know them and make a fuss over them. They love watching buses and scooters from our balcony. They like walking everywhere together as a family. Oh and chasing pigeons is a new hobby. Yesterday I saw about 10 birds sitting in an alley. I just let the boys loose and it was the best fun!
On the 31st our sweet landlords and neighbors rang our doorbell. I opened the door and the two little girls were standing there with a basket of candy and a sack. Of course my first thought is trick or treating! I quickly said in english, "Hold on, let me find some candy!" and then I ran away. They stood there completely confused because they couldn't understand what I said. I came back and put 3 of my cherised american candies in each of their sacks... it was seriously hard for me to part with them! They still looked confused and then said in italian... we brought your kids some gifts and some candy to try! I just started laughing! They don't celebrate halloween. I am sure they think I am crazy! Oh well!

No comments: